Friday, June 20, 2008

My Ideas for Change

1) If it's still the largest in the state or even larger than average, return some of the Boone County assessor's surplus to taxpayers. They can invest their money better than we can.
Avoid huge tax windfalls or sudden tax losses with consistent reassessments that accurately reflect property values, up OR down.

2) Rethink the vehicle tax based on vehicle identification numbers or VINs. That policy change led to a tax increase for thousands of hard-working Boone County residents. Tax increases should be legislated and approved by the people, but my opponent made this increase on his own. I believe in Taxation WITH Representation.

3) Protect first time homebuyers by abolishing the Certificate of Value that everyone gets from the assessor after they buy property. It is an unnecessary burden on homeowners and employees of the assessor's office.

4) My opponent has lost several large, high profile tax appeals that tied up school funding in escrow for years and helped kill high-paying jobs. I want to carefully study those appeals and others, to make sure the assessor's office has learned from its mistakes. We can't afford not to do the job right the first time.

5) My opponent uses a poorly advertised informal office appeal for taxpayers to appeal their taxes. It's legal, but few people know about it. Those who do have an unfair advantage. I've only seen it mentioned in the Columbia Tribune once in ten years. I want to make sure that all appeals processes are open, well-advertised and transparent.

6) I will use best practices among professional appraisers for special property types, such as historic property.

7) I want to strive for assessment consistency and treat everyone fairly. That means not over-appraising homes in low-income neighborhoods, for instance.

8) The Board of Equalization that hears property tax appeals must consist of three property owning, taxpaying citizens. But in Boone County, the Board of Equalization is staffed by county commissioners AND the county assessor -- the foxes guarding the henhouse. I strongly support a citizens-only board. Possible board members might be a certified appraiser, real estate agent, and homeowner.

Pease let me know which ideas most appeal to you. Reach me at 573-657-9521 or mailto:bishopforboone@yahoo.com.

No comments: